You didn’t really think I was asking for your phone number did you?! Let’s talk about the other pH, presence or potential of hydrogen, which is the scale that measures how acidic or alkaline a substance is. The one that determines whether your body is fighting or inviting disease.
Fall 2014 I decided to get my first colon hydrotherapy after researching the benefits. In general this is the irrigation of the colon and small intestines to remove toxins. I will do a future blog post on that experience. One of the first things my therapist wanted to do was a pH test to determine my levels by dipping one of the test strips in a sample of my urine(wasn’t necessary…you can place the strip on your tongue for a second as well). I was delighted that my level was 7.5 alkaline. Good thing too since I’d just spent 15 minutes talking with her about my vegan journey. She didn’t know me from Eve…the test would prove if I had a primarily plant-based diet or not. And it did! The trust curve was moving in the right direction! I now know that level was more alkaline than I needed to be.
Back to you and why it’s so important for you to know your own pH. This scale ranges from 0 to 14 where a pH of 7 is neutral, a pH less than 7 is acidic, and a pH greater than 7 is alkaline or base/basic. Because our bodies live and die from a cellular level the first line of defense against disease is attaining and more importantly maintaining a proper pH balance. DISEASE CAN ONLY GROW IN AN ACIDIC BODY! When your body is acidic you are making a comfortable home for the growth of viruses, bacteria, yeast, mold, fungus and all types of other unwanted “things”. I’m all for southern hospitality, but I draw the line there! Also cancer always strikes those with an over-acidic body. That study was enough for me! Control the controllables is a great motto. Cancer and disease may very well strike in some form or fashion, but don’t let it be because of something you could control like ensuring your body is not in an overly acidic state.
Here’s a great list I pulled from www.care2.com. of 10 things you can incorporate in your daily life to start moving the needle on your pH level today!
- Start your day with a large glass of water with the juice of a whole, freshly-squeezed lemon. (I know lemon may seem acidic, but it alkalizes once it enters the body.)
- Eat a large green salad tossed in lemon juice and olive oil. Greens are among the best sources of alkaline minerals, like calcium.
- Snack on raw, unsalted almonds. Almonds are packed with natural alkaline minerals like calcium and magnesium, which help to balance out acidity while balancing blood sugar.
- Drink an almond milk and berry smoothie with added green powder like spirulina, chlorella, or other greens. Choose almond milk over cow’s milk, since the latter is acid-forming.
- Go for a brisk walk or some other exercise. Exercise helps move acidic waste products so your body can better eliminate them.
- Breathe deeply. Ideally, choose a spot that has fresh, oxygen-rich air. And, sorry Febreze, Glade, and all the other so-called “air fresheners”: air filled with these scents is not what I’m talking about here.
- Go meat-free for a day… or longer if you like (^_^). During the metabolism of meat, there is an acid residue left behind.
- Skip the sugar-laden dessert or soda. Sugar is one of the most acidic foods we consume. You need over 30 glasses of neutral water just to neutralize the acidity of ONE can of soda :-/.
- Add more veggies to your diet. No, potatoes don’t count. But sweet potatoes are a good choice (provided you’re not slathering them in sweeteners or butter). Asparagus, squash, peppers, and other vegetables are also excellent choices.
- Sprout it out. Add more sprouts to your daily diet. They are extremely alkalizing and supercharged with nutrients and energy-boosting enzymes.
I hope you’ll use this list…I know it will help in your overall road to healthy living! That’s why you’re here, right?
It is recommended that your food intake be 75% alkaline. Meat, dairy and grains are acidic while most fruits and vegetables are alkaline. Getting in 8 servings of fruits and vegetables daily will get you where you need to be. These can be prepared in juices, smoothies or eaten raw or steamed for the greatest nutritional and pH value (sliding one of my roasted veggie recipes in every now and then won’t hurt 😉 ). Aside from foods keep in mind that emotions play a strong part in your pH levels. It should be no surprise that love makes your body alkaline while hate, anger, loneliness and despair have been shown to move your body to an acidic pH level. The song was right ALL WE NEED IS LOVE.
I want to hear from you! Which of the 10 tips outlined above are you committed to using and making your body a safe place to live? Leave your reply in the comment box below.
Please click the star at the bottom of this post to LIKE it and click the SHARE icon for Facebook, twitter or email to share this post with anyone you think will benefit from the info…which is everyone! See you next week Earthly Bodies (^_^)!