I love lemons and I love finding new everyday uses for them! If ever there was a fruit that I rank amongst God’s top “you did that!” in terms of multi uses lemon would be in the top 3 if not #1…hmm, maybe I’ll blog about that sometime ;-). You’ll also be pleasantly surprised that some of these are using the lemon peel that we often just toss away. So here it is a list of 14 things you will find joy in incorporating lemon for health, beauty and household. Oh and in response to a comment I received from a gentleman wondering why I never give specific “beauty” tips for guys I say I DO! The first four letters in beauty spell b-e-a-u (^_^), enjoy.
- Lemon rids the body of toxins and makes the stomach happy! Lemon can help relieve a lot of digestion problems when mixed with hot water like nausea, heartburn and parasites just to name a few. This is due to the digestive qualities of lemon juice. Common symptoms of indigestion like heartburn, bloating and burping are relieved. By drinking fresh lemon juice regularly your bowels are helped in eliminating waste much more efficiently. This means drinking lemon juice can cure constipation! Lemon also acts as a blood purifier and as a cleansing agent. It is even known to help relieve hiccups. I know what you’re thinking I could stop right here! It is because of what you just read and many other reasons that I begin EVERY single morning with 8-16 oz. of hot water, 1/2 – 1 freshly juiced lemon and a dash of cayenne pepper <3.
- Boost your immune system with the powerhouse of Calcium, Potassium, Vitamins C, B1, B2 and B6, Riboflavin and Magnesium. No more Z-pac for you!
- Control High Blood Pressure with the high potassium content of lemons. It also will control dizziness, nausea and provide relaxation to mind and body. It also reduces mental stress and depression. So the next time you’re feeling fatigued or down just cut a hole at the top of a lemon and suck it. Yes you’ll make a face initially, LoL, but you’ll also feel a burst of energy aka “the sunshines”.
- Wash your face with lemon juice for an all natural cleanser and exfoliator. Also just by dabbing a little lemon juice on blackheads you can draw them out during the day.
- Take the juice of 1 fresh squeezed lemon, add half that amount of witch hazel and double the amount of filtered water and voila you have a skin toner for the ages! While the witch hazel cleanses the skin the lemon will lighten spots/scars and brighten your overall complexion.
- All natural deodorant. Yep I said it! Use your used lemon that you squeezed into your morning hot water and rub it on your arm pit like you would any deodorant. It will naturally and very well handle any bacteria that is looking for secretions to cause order. This has lasted a full 24 hours for me and I work out 6 days a week with some heavy sweating!
- You can have clean and whitened nails without a manicurist. Add the juice of 1/2 lemon to 1 cup warm water and soak your fingertips in the mixture for 5 minutes. After pushing back the cuticles, rub some lemon peel back and forth against the nail for a naturally beautiful manicure.
- Lemon juice freshens breath. The citric acid in the juice alters the pH level in your mouth which kills bacteria that cause bad breath. Be sure to rinse after a few minutes because long-term exposure to the acid in lemons can harm your tooth enamel.
- Lemon has antibacterial properties to soothe and heal throat infection by gargling with lemon and water if a salt water mixture isn’t working or you just don’t like it.
- Freshen the fridge. Hey I grew up letting baking soda do this job like everyone else! But you can put lemon juice on a cotton ball or sponge, place it in your fridge and get the same effect WITH that great lemon scent. Be sure to remove the stinky culprit causing the smell from the fridge.
- Garbage disposal refresher. Every morning after making my hot lemon water I throw the used lemon half down my garbage disposal to use as a freshener. Cool right?!
- Cutting board refresher. We have a lot of nerve frowning at the smell of our cutting board when we have no regard for what we cut on it (i.e. onions, garlic, meats, etc.) To get rid of the smell and to sanitize the cutting board, rub it all over with the cut side of half a lemon.
- Fruit and veggie wash. I love using vinegar as my go to veggie wash, but was so very pleasantly surprised when I was out and used 1 Tbsp of lemon juice in my spray bottle to rid my produce of any pesticides or dirt.
- No more brown guacamole! Just squeeze lemon juice on your finished guac and the lemon juice slows down the oxidation process keeping it that amazing green much longer. Also works well with fruit salad and its a win win that lemon compliments the taste of both dishes.
Hopefully after reading this you will remember “when life gives you lemons….don’t throw away the peels!”
What have you used lemon for? Sharing is caring! As always don’t forget to click the star to LIKE this post, COMMENT below and SHARE SHARE SHARE this post with your Facebook, Twitter and Email list. Here’s to making our Earthly Bodies a safe place to LIVE <3!